Wednesday 16 May 2018

Long Time No Cirl

7th to 14th May 2018

A really lovely week in southeast Cornwall for half term was mostly spent walking coastal paths, chilling and basking in great weather. We stayed at Talland, a beautiful quiet spot between the far more touristy towns of Polperro and Looe. Despite it being spring and the fine weather, there were no migrants about of note, but still pleasant to be out.
 
On Friday 13th we caught up with old friends Andre and Lorraine at Mount Edgcumbe on the western mouth of the Plym, allowing me to call in at Rame Head (Andre's patch) in a quick look for Cirl Buntings. Thanks to his gen, it took me seconds to see them and I watched 5 birds at close range in a hedgerow and they glowed in the sunshine. It had been a long time since my last (I can't remember) so I thoroughly enjoyed these birds. Annoyingly I was without my camera, so no shots. Next day we were to travel home so called in at the RSPBs Labrador Bay reserve, taking the mutt for a walk and hopefully seeing some more Cirls (I probably should have tried for the putative Italian Sparrow nearby, but lacked the enthusiasm or will to inflict it on the family). Cirls showed, but sea fog meant the light was poor so shots were limited (like I'm a photographer anyway!).


No comments:

Post a Comment