Saturday 25 January 2020

Warning: tedious listing taxonomy post.

So both BOU and IRBC now follow the IOC taxonomic order (got it?). IOC annually updates their World Bird List with taxonomic changes based on current research, and version 10.1 was released in late January.

From an immediate listing perspective, the reinstatement of Hudsonian Whimbrel to full species (after it's removal in 2017) means I can re-add the 2015 Sussex bird to my personal tally. Also last year's Eastern Black-eared Wheatear becomes a rapid pay out of insurance, assuming it's ID is accepted by BBRC. Yes, I know, it's all a silly game. Or at least it is from a listing perspective, but that's not what drives taxonomic study. In reality it's important work; understanding the complex relationships teaches us the evolutionary process, and of more immediate importance it frames conservation efforts globally. Rightly or wrongly, a 'full' species is far more likely to be afforded scarce conservation resources. As UK listers, we are simply a sideline beneficiary, not the reason for scientific advancement.

Hudsonian Whimbrel, Pagham,2015 by Matt Eades

So a plus two from the armchair, moving my current Bubo total to 549. Of course it's a pointless number and says nothing of my birding abilities or otherwise, but I find it a staggering figure regardless. The next one is a milestone that I believed entirely unachievable even when I hit the magic 500 back in just 2009; in fact 11 years seems like a rapid pace to the current total. Assuming I get there, I'm hoping 550 is something good, but it could just as easily be a taxonomic announcement (yuk).

Since my first twitches in the early 80s, listing has changed beyond recognition, through a combination of expanding taxonomy, rapidly available news, instant identifications, social media, digital photography and accessible travel. I've also been fortunate to be able to afford most rarity chasing over the last decade or so, although in reality I spend far less on birding now then I ever used to. When I started, 400 was the number you worked towards, and the idea of twitching Shetland was fanciful; 450 was a distant dream and 500 was reserved for listing heroes. Back then Water Pipit was a subspecies, peeps were hard to identify and Scilly was the only place to be in October. Like all walks of life, things change and the pace of that change is astounding. Now complex identifications of cryptic species are resolved away from the field, through DNA samples in a university lab or by laptop analysis of sound recordings. Potentially rare cryptic species are highlighted quickly via the lab, and the opportunity to go and see something 'just in case' is afforded to all. I wonder what innovation is next? For me personally I'd still say 600 is almost impossible, but it would be folly to suggest some of the younger generation couldn't get there. All bets are off.

My 500th bird was a Royal Tern at Black Rock Sands in July 2009, Jonno's last proper twitch pre departure to France. At the time it was a truly mega rarity, and we were lucky that it was within striking distance for us. I celebrated on a sunny evening on the beach that I'd walked many times with my dad; sometimes there's romance in birding too. Since then I've seen another Royal Tern, the American rung individual that has been mostly hanging around the Channel Islands for the last few years. Coincidentally, the latest IOC list formally splits the 'American' and 'African' Royal terns, with the African species now renamed as West African Crested Tern, and it is this latter one that the 2009 was muted to be. Whether ID can be clinched remains to be seen, but perhaps another armchair addition will come from that one day. I kind of like the name West African Crested Tern, it would sit well on my list...

Perhaps though chasing rarities is really in it's death throes. It's increasingly difficult to defend such a frivolous waste of precious resources in the face of climate change and rapid biodiversity loss. How do us hardened listers feed our OCD addiction with a clear conscience? 

1 comment:

  1. Do this hack to drop 2 lbs of fat in 8 hours

    Well over 160 000 men and women are trying a easy and SECRET "liquids hack" to drop 1-2lbs every night as they sleep.

    It is very simple and works with anybody.

    Here's how you can do it yourself:

    1) Go grab a drinking glass and fill it up half the way

    2) Then use this proven HACK

    you'll become 1-2lbs thinner the very next day!

    ReplyDelete