Friday 11 June 2021

The Morning After

Ham Walls RSPB, 9th June 2021

Arriving around midnight following the previous days success, I soon passed out in the car. Whilst not exactly a perfect sleep, I definitely managed a few hours before the first glimmers of light stirred a Garden Warbler in to relentless song and my cue to fall out of the passenger seat.

Malc, John Pegden, Dan Pointon and I walked the few hundred meters towards the now well worn spot, but the rather loud and unmistakable song of the RIVER WARBLER was audible long before we got there. It was immediately, and pretty much continually, on-show. It may be brown but had bags of character; in fact it barely stopped singing (how do they do that for hours on end?), visibly quivering as it did so. A cracking bird and I was long-overdue another given the 25 years have passed since my last. 

I had hoped for a joyous morning of birding at this famous reserve, one I'd long meant to spend time at. Frustratingly the fens remained shrouded in thick mist and so opportunities for other birding were scuppered as I also needed to go and do some work. Aside from the booming of a Bittern, not much else was noted. Typically, just a few miles away it was a beautiful day. Never mind, I'm sure I'll be back.






No comments:

Post a Comment