Friday 8 October 2021

Shetland 2021: Day 1

Northward Bound (sort-of), 8th October 2021

I finished work on Tuesday and spent a couple of pleasant days at home before heading north. Flights were booked for 4pm on Friday 8th October. There was a distinct lack of migrant birds on the northern isles, but regardless I was looking forward to getting there and a break from work. With Jono and Andy scheduled to arrive on Monday evening I had a couple of days to myself and that was just fine with me.

As I began to pack in the morning Greg Baker messaged to say that he had a probable Blue-winged Teal on Neumann’s, which would be a first for the patch. With plenty of time to spare it would have been daft not to call down and join the small gathering of local birders. The bird was instantly on show, but distant, mostly asleep and obscured amongst the many Shovelers. It did wake a few times and certainly looked the part. One of the patch locals Stuart had already managed some excellent flight shots and these seem to confirm the ID as a first winter drake. Later it transpired the bill is on the large-size for Blue-winged Teal but still probably within range and the ID stands up to scrutiny - hopefully the BBRC feel the same. Great work by Greg.

1st winter drake Blue-winged Teal, Neumann's. My best effort.

Great flight shot by Stuart (@Stuart91050315) showing perfect upperwing pattern.

With time starting to become short I headed home and hastily packed before setting off the Manchester Airport. The usual airport chaos ensued, but I was soon on board the supposedly direct flight to Shetland. On boarding we were told the flight would touch down in Aberdeen, but we should remain on-board. All good until we arrived in Aberdeen, where it became apparent that we had to change planes. Again fine, except we were also told the previous flight to Shetland had just had to turn around at Sumburgh due to heavy fog. To cut a long story short, we spent a lot of time waiting at the airport and all ended up in a hotel overnight. Loganair were to foot the accommodation bill and put on an additional 7am flight to Sumburgh. Never mind I wasn’t in any particular hurry (although did miss out on a birders curry in Lerwick).

Inevitably there were other birders in the hotel and a boozy night ensued. We were having a fine time then somewhere around the fifth pint I glanced at my phone.

 

Balls. This could be very expensive for a bird that’s just an hour's drive from home. Perhaps it was my inebriated state, but unusually I didn’t stress in the slightest. More pints and a whiskey. I quietly made the decision to sort in the morning, but I clearly wasn’t getting on board that flight to Shetland.

I crashed in to bed around midnight and set an alarm for 5am. No time to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment