Saturday 1 July 2023

Quail, Bonsall Moor, Derbyshire 28th June 2023

Common Quail are one of those birds that I haven't made enough effort to see (or even hear) often enough. They not common, but are annual, even in Cheshire, but the vast majority are heard only. These elusive little Coturnix rarely break cover, remaining steadfastly in the chosen grassland or crop. If you see a quail at all you've done well, but even then it will most likely have been in flight. There was a bird locally last weekend that didn't linger, but served to give me the kick I needed to make an effort. I've seen quail before of course, but in my entire birding life only brief glimpses on the ground or flight views. And none at all for many years. 

Numbers fluctuate annually but there seem to be quite a few around so far in 2023. Birdguides had been reporting three calling birds in Derbyshire as 'showing occasionally' - which in quail terms is the equivalent of 'easy to see'. Or at least that you're in with a shot. The location, Bonsall Moor in the Derbyshire Peak District, was about 1.5 hours drive, but I've been telling myself to make more effort with those regular bird species that I've only seen rarely. So I headed over early(ish), arriving around 8am and with the intention of staying no more than a couple of hours before heading to work. 

The favoured fields were rather lovely hay meadows, full of life. Skylarks and Meadow Pipits abounded but as I approached not a quail to be heard. Moments later, however, a bird started calling close to the lane I was stood on and, almost immediately, a second bird flew in towards it and giving a really good flight view. Immediate success of sorts, but the possibility of on the ground views was my reason for the journey. I stayed and stayed, playing the usual game of cat and mouse, interrupted briefly by a juvenile Common Redstart in the hawthorns. At least three quail called, but they were quite mobile and of course deep in cover. At times they were very close - close enough to hear them 'croak' before bellowing out their highly recognisable 'wet-my-lips' call. I deployed the thermal camera but even that was unsuccessful; the grass was evidently very dense, but it's probably also true that the the call never comes from the area you think. I did manage three more good flight views so considered the trip a success, and decided to head off. 

It was 12.30, I'd been here for 4.5 hours, although had made several work calls and even attended a video conference from the car. I walked back to the car for a drink, but decided to give it one more go after I'd recharged. It felt unfinished.

At this point I realised there was a public footpath across one of the meadow fields used by the birds. I headed across then, at the end of the meadow, veered towards a wall and settled. It seemed like a good spot, so I gave it a blast. A bird called immediately and close. Moments later I realised it was sat on the stone wall around 40 feet from me. Incredible! Few people manage to see a quail well, yet this bird just sat there. It even allowed me to reposition to photograph it. Mostly it sat and stared, but did let out a few brief calls from its lofty perch. After perhaps 15 minutes it clambered down the side of the wall and disappeared in to the meadow grass. Wonderful stuff. 

It had seemed a long shot to see one on the ground when I set off this morning, and it had take a fair few hours of effort, but I definitely wasn't expecting that to happen. I was on a birding high after this one. A day early birthday present that was as good as any new bird.













No comments:

Post a Comment