Tuesday 20 October 2020

Shrike Insurance

On Sunday 18th, whilst I was tearing along the M1, a Brown Shrike was found inland in West Yorkshire. A remarkable record inland, and another species that has gone from mega to annual in just a few years. 

I'd seen two before (at Flamborough in September 2008, and a wintering bird at Staines in Surrey in late 2009), but it had been a long time and this bird was a smart adult type so I was immediately tempted. But having been away and done an awful lot of driving, decided to leave it a few days.

On Monday 19th there was a good deal of debate over the birds' identity. Was it in fact a Turkestan (aka Red-tailed) Shrike? In yesteryear  these shrikes were not too difficult to identify, but the old 'Isabelline' shrike has recently been split into two (Turkestan and Daurian), both of which occur in the UK. Identification of many individuals is tricky as there is much overlap in features and many hybrid types have been recorded. Even adult birds, like this one, are far from straightforward. I've seen a clear Daurian in Cornwall (October 2013), which conveniently was found just as Jonno and I arrived at St Just airport with time to kill. I've also seen what most regarded as an identifiable Turkestan; a bird at Buckton in Yorkshire in October 2007 (seen by most people twitching the nearby Brown Flycatcher), but that one didn't make it past the BBRC. None of the other Issy shrikes I've seen have been identifiable to species (or sub-species as it was then). Subsequently the current bird became more interesting and worthy of a trip from a listing perspective, as well as aesthetics.

The bird was showing well when I arrived, but unfortunately soon retired to a more awkward spot looking in to the sun. To me the bird felt very much more like a Brown Shrike than an Issy-type, but I'll admit that was based on little more than gut feeling. It looked pretty much exactly as I would expect a Brown to look, and certainty would have called it as such had I found it. Consensus from everyone I spoke to was the same, and as photos improved and were circulated it seemed that most were of the same view in the wider world. The long, narrow tail and blunt bill, combined with the lack of any colour contrast between the crown and mantle and absence of a white base to the primaries all point towards Brown, but I'll let the experts decide (if it is even possible to be certain). 

A smart bird, regardless of the ID. Some birds are just ace, and shrikes definitely fall in to that category.

Photos below by Phil Jones and Pete Garrity.


No comments:

Post a Comment