Saturday 17 October 2020

St Agnes 15 - 17 October 2020

The trip continued to be more about the people and the place than any avian excitement, but that’s Scilly these days. This was mainly a much-needed opportunity to recharge and spend some relaxed time with Andy after what has been (another) trying year for us both. Good friends don't come easy, and I'm thankful for those I have (we just needed Jonno here!).




There was a small arrival of Black Redstarts and an increase in common migrants, particularly Fieldfares and Redwings, but also a few Siskins and Chaffinches, and I happened across a typically confiding Lapland Bunting and a handful of ever enjoyable YBW. It was slow going.



Male Black Redstart 

Lapland Bunting

The American Buff-bellied Pipit was exceptionally showy and I enjoyed some point blank one on one time with it.

The only other arrival of note was an ‘Eastern’ Stonechat on Gugh. Given the general paleness it seems likely to have been a Siberian / maurus, same as our local bird from the winter.

Eastern Stonechat, Gugh (Scott Reid & Richard Stonier)

Friday 16th was chippy night in the Turks, which is open limited hours this year due to Covid. The evening turned in to a great session, which is perhaps where Aggie comes in to its own, and we clanked our way back across the island carrying take out bottles of beer to continue back at the digs. 

Saturday 17th. I awoke feeling distinctly groggy after a booze hampered restless sleep and casually browsed the web on my phone. It as 07.27 when one of those heart-stopping messages popped up.  

This was one of the mythical birds of yesteryear, with the last one over 40 years ago. No question of whether to go. I knew it was impossible to make it today, so I’d be one day behind pretty much everyone on the mainland and back home. Endless messages about lifts and logistics appeared, and I felt like I was a very long way from where I needed to be. It was Saturday morning the Skybus office wouldn’t open until 10.30, so I couldn’t call to change my flight. Equally, after today there would be no exit from Scilly until Monday, meaning a Tuesday arrival in Norfolk. Sod that. I booked one of the few remaining flights for later that day and would have to sort every else later. Twitch on and logistics organised, I was able to have a relatively chilled day with Andy before taking the 15:15 island boat back to St Mary’s. The bushchat had continued to show to the masses, but bizarrely chosen to move to the salt marsh where it fed on sueda which was due to be inundated later in the evening. Not good news for anyone who couldn’t get there that day. Regardless, it was time to leave.

Adios St Agnes. I'll be back of course.

My flight was at 17:40. It was a beautiful evening and a lovely flight, but I had a long long drive ahead. I was in the car for 18:15 - Norfolk here I come. Thankfully the rental Skoda I’m currently in is equipped with adaptive cruise control, which makes for a much more relaxing drive. I didn’t stop at all until Peterborough, and was in the Stifkey car park by 01.30 for a few hours rest. It’s been a long time since I’d slept in a car for a bird, but needs must.


It's fair to say the prospect of a solo drive was daunting. The last time I left Scilly for a bird was the 1990 Red-breasted Nuthatch - also in Norfolk. But the miles chugged by in my trusty rental Skoda and I didn't even pause for a break until I reached Peterborough, sometime around midnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment